1. 1.What about interstate applications?

    We have some expertise in dealing with some of the states and territories. We can research the specific requirements and legislation of the state as required.

  2. 2.I have already completed half of the application myself. Can you adjust your fees if you have to do less?

    We do this quite often as many of our clients come to us after they have attempted the process themselves. We look at what has been done and what needs to be done and provide you with a quotation, usually within 24 hours.

  3. 3.What if two or three of us want to do our applications together?

    Not a problem. We have prepared applications and undertaken joint assessment training before. More the merrier when it comes to training.

  4. 4.I have already submitted my application. I just want some assistance preparing for my assessment. Can you help?

    Absolutely. Test your knowledge with our Multiple Choice and Plan Reading questions on our Website.  Our 3 hours per week x 12 week Builder Registration Course is specifically targeted at preparing you for your assessment.

  5. 5.I don’t really understand how the assessment process works. Could you please explain it?

    The first part of the assessment is the Victorian Building Authorities (VBA’s)  analysis of your application. Fail to complete it in any way and the whole application will be rejected by the VBA.

    For Example, if you fail to pay, it will be delayed or even returned. If you make mistakes in the contract, you are likely to fail the assessment. The second part of the assessment is the multiple-choice and plan mistakes test held at the VBA office at the Docklands, in Melbourne’s CBD .

    Within a month approximately of completing the multiple-choice test, the VBA will to contact you for your one-one-one assessment, likely to last 3-4 hours in duration.  You will be notified of the assessor’s recommendation, either on the day or when the assessor decides, usually you are informed in writing.

  6. 6.I need to professionalise my look before I submit my application. Can you help?

    We would be happy to review your application and advise on it. We will charge only if you appoint us to work on improving the application.

  7. 7.How can I check your company out further before engaging your services?

    We can provide you a number of references should you need to find out more about our record and how we operate.

  8. 8.Can you guarantee that I will pass my assessment?

    Unfortunately, “no”. Just like a sports coach, we can put you in a position to get registered, but you have to perform well on the day.  We recommend you spend the time to Study all aspects of your application to prepare you fully

    You will have to impress the assessor that you are competent in the five areas – Business Management, Building Works Management (Operational) and (Supervision), Legislation (including contracts) and importantly, Building Technology.

  9. 9.Can I apply for registration again if I fail the first time?

    Assessors will normally inform an unsuccessful applicant that he/she can apply again in six months time, having to re-submit the full application and pay the fee again. They will also inform you of the areas in which you were deemed “not competent” in a formal letter.

  10. 10.I hear you can supply me a comprehensive list of questions that I can study on my own. Is that correct?

    Yes, Our on-line questions and plans are continuously updated and will assist you, however studying all required elements intensely before the assessment is vital to your chances of success.

  11. 11.Can you explain the $10,000 and $16,000 rules in relation to Victorian legislation?

    Building Act 1993 states that all building work over $10,000 needs to be undertaken using an approved major domestic building contract, with some exceptions for certain single trades. The $16,000 rule, under the Domestic Building Contracts Act, states that a contract becomes insurable when its value exceeds $16,000. Penalties exist for registered and unregistered builders who fail to comply with these laws. Only a registered builder is allowed to sign a major domestic building contract.

  12. 12.I have done a few small renovations and done a Cert IV in building and construction. That should be enough to get my DB-U registration, shouldn’t it?

    The VBA is very specific in requiring at least 3 years experience and a comprehensive work history and be able to demonstrate they have/can build an entire house and be competent with AS 1684 – Timber Framing Manual and AS 2870 – Slabs and Footings , to be able to convince an assessor that they have the skills and knowledge.

    Remember, DB-U is the most difficult domestic building registration category to obtain and requires the highest standard of competence to be demonstrated on the day of your assessment.

  13. 13.How hard is it to get a commercial builder license?

    Assuming you require a structural commercial license – a CB-L-L, CB-L-M or the more difficult to achieve – CB-U, you have to demonstrate the commensurate experience in your application. In addition all applicants must have WHS qualification (gained from either Diploma in Building and Construction, Cert IV – WHS, or completing required WHS modules)

    The assessments consist of 50 multiple choice questions (answered on computer) and a one on one interview (which lasts between 1 – 2 hours)

  14. 14.Do you have to have a Cert IV or a Diploma of Building and Construction to apply for registration?

    Whilst we prefer an applicant to have the formal qualification, some organisations have up to one third to half of their applicants relying on their demonstrable experience. If the applicant sufficiently impresses the assessor with his/her knowledge and experience, the Board can issue a certificate of competency in relation to their knowledge.

  15. 15.What are the five competencies that you are likely to be tested on at the one-on-one assessment?

    Business Management, Building Works Management (Operational), Building Works Management (Supervision), Legislation and Building Technology.

  16. 16.How long do I have to wait to apply again if I don’t succeed the first time?

    The assessors generally advise you to wait six months to re-apply. You usually only need to re-submit sections A-K, as well as updated technical references and work history. You will also need to pay the fee again.

  17. 17.Do I have to be a member of an association to become registered?

    Not at all, however, we believe that it is worth giving an association a try – or talk to others that are members.

  18. 18.Do I need to have a safety induction – red or white card to become registered?

    Yes – it is a pre-requisite that anybody working on site in the building industry should have a safety induction card. It needs to be certified and included as a Qualification in Part D of the formal registration application.

  19. 19.The application form says I only need character references, but then people tell me that I have to have technical references as well. What is right?

    Detailed technical references are required for all classes of registration. These are now an integral part (M) of the application, and must attest to your ability & strengths in the specific tasks required by the class of registration that you seek. The referee must hold at least the equivalent class of registration that you seek.

    If you are applying for a DB-U, you must have a reference from a DB-U, not a  Project Manager or a commercial builder.

  20. 20.Can I apply for a domestic licence and a commercial licence at the same time?

    Only if they are separate applications. Many years ago , you could apply for a DB-U and be asked, would you like a CB-U with that? Those days are gone.

  21. 21.Are unlicensed builders still subject to the building legislation and the penalties that apply?

    Absolutely. Have a look at the Building Commission’s Insites magazine – look for Prosecutions – makes for interesting reading. Both registered and unregistered builders incur the wrath of the VBA when they breach the Acts – usually the Building Act or the Domestic Building Contracts Act.

  22. 22.Where can I find out more information about the Victorian Building Authority?

    Visit www.vba.vic.gov.au – building practitioner section. You can also e-mail the VBA and they will mail you their standard brochures.

  23. 23.How long will it take to prepare my application?

    If you can provide us with all of the necessary personal information required we can have your application ready in two weeks. Normally allow 1 month. If you don’t supply things like references and photo ID, it can drag on for months. It’s up to you.

  24. 24.Can you help me get a letter of eligibility of insurance?

    Absolutely. We know exactly what has to be put together and the importance of an Letter of Eligibility (LOE) to your registration

  25. 25.I’m not sure if I should apply for a DB-U or a Project Manager?

    Our advice in this situation is to talk to the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) and get their opinion, read their competencies brochure and talk to us as well. We deal with this issue constantly.

  26. 26.Can I apply for a DB-U and a Project Manager at the same time?

    No – You can put in separate applications at the same time though you will need to pay the application fee twice. But you can apply for a multiple of DB-L categories at the same time, as they are deemed all deemed to be at the same level.

  27. 27.I just want to buy the questions and answers from you. Is that OK?

    Absolutely. Check out our multiple Choice and Plan Reading tests on our website, we have our highly acclaimed Builder Registration Course in multiple locations across Melbourne and Victorian regional centres to assist you.

  28. 28.Can you help with commercial builder applications?

    Yes, we prepare CB-L’s and CB-U’s, but you have to be able to demonstrate appropriate experience and background to match the category applied for. Obtaining a CB-U will require substantial multi-storey work experience, normally at least ten years.